On September 30, 2008, the Piedmont Council of the Arts held the first in a series of Creative Conversations. The CitySpace meeting room on the Downtown Mall was packed with participants eager to discuss the future of arts education. Some of the topics discussed include:
- How do people learn about and experience arts and culture today?
- How does our community provide citizens with learning opportunities in the arts?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of our community in terms of arts education? Are there untapped opportunities or important concerns?
- How, if at all, do arts education opportunities differ for young people and adults in our community? How do they differ according to economic ability? Geographic location? Racial or cultural background?
- How collaborative is our community in educating through the arts? Are there ways to streamline efforts and work more closely together?